November 15: Elijah and the Prophets of Ba’al
Sermon and Notes from Fr. Kenny Benge
1 Kings 18:20-40
Further Reading and Meditation
1 Kings 16-22
2 Kings 1-2
Isaiah 44:9-20 (Read it in The Message if you have it)
I Thessalonians 1:2-5, 9-10
Feel free to use some or all of these questions in your cell group, Bible study, or with your family. Some questions will need to be reworded or omitted for smaller children.
1) What emotions do you feel when something seems beyond your control?
2) How important are your relationships to you? How does your relationship with God influence your other relationships—marriage, friendships, children, and work?
3) When you feel angry, anxious, or scared, what do you do to feel better? What do you do to recover a sense of power?
4) Idols are almost always some aspect of God’s good creation – work, money, relationships, wisdom, knowledge, even spirituality – that we substitute for God. How can we tell when something becomes idolatrous?
5) When we are in Christ, the power of idols in our life has been broken. What are things that we can do as individuals and as communities to keep potential idols in their proper place?